Take over an unmanaged directory as administrator in Azure Active Directory and Office 365
When you try to verify a domain in Microsoft Office 365, you receive one of the following error messages:
DomainName has already been verified for your account, or for another Microsoft Online Services account.
Can't verify the domain
DomainName was already added to a different Office 365 account domain.onmicrosoft.com.
Sign in to that account as an admin, and remove domain
. Then come back here and try adding DomainName to this account again.
The domain DomainName is on an unmanaged tenant. There is no Global Administrator. The fastest way to become an Administrator for this Office 365 tenant will be to perform an Administrator takeover as this tenant is currently unmanaged.
If you already have an existing O365 user account which uses the DomainName domain, please go to http://portal.office.com/home and click the Admin tile on the app launcher. A wizard automatically starts, to guide you through the steps to become the admin for the Office 365 unmanaged tenant.
If you do not have an existing O365 user account on the
To complete this process, you will need access to two different things.
- An email address with the domain where you can send and receive emails.
- The DNS records associated with the domain.
Solution via become an Admin:
- First, go to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/ and select "Start Free" so that you have an Office 365 Business user account for this tenant. Then scroll down and look where it says, “Share with Power BI Pro” and click on "Start free trial".
- You will need to sign up using your email address with the domain.
- Once you sign up for Power BI. You will receive an email with instructions for logging in at portal.office.com.
- After logging in to portal.office.com with the same credential you used on the Power BI website, please click on the blue square in the upper left-hand corner and then the Admin icon app. If the Admin icon is not displayed right away, please click the view all my apps option to see if that is there.
- Finally, select the Admin icon. You should have the “Become an Administrator”. You will need to verify the DNS records and then your account will be elevated to “Global Administrator”.
The Power BI admin takeover instructions are also found here.
After completing the takeover, if you are only looking to remove the domain you will find the instructions here.
Please let me know as soon as possible if this does not work so that we can troubleshoot this.
**Services Cloudtechtiq offers:**